1. The American prizes free speech, but reserves the right to publish only content it considers appropriate to its ethical standards and its goals. It is a rigorously pro bono project whose contributors, whether regular or occasional, receive no compensation of any kind aside from the satisfaction of airing their views.
2. The American encourages outside contributions and reader comments, which can be sent via email or posted to the magazine's Facebook page. It does not censor writers based on political or ideological point of view. Editors will however delete or abridge comments that are abusive, use gratuitously foul language, or include ad hominem attacks.
3. All classified advertisements and reader comments are similarly examined and subject to the same criteria.
5. Your Internet Protocol ("IP") address is usually associated with the place from which you enter the Internet, like your Internet Service Provider, your company or your university. We may use your IP address to help diagnose problems with our server, gather broad demographic information, and administer our website.
6. If you choose to purchase items through classified advertising or features on our site, your legal and ethical bond is with the seller, not The American does not broker any sales of any kind.
7. If readers disclose information about themselves in publicly accessible areas of the website (free classified ads, for example), they may receive unsolicited messages from other parties. Accordingly, they should behave judiciously.
8. The American contains material that is protected by state, national and international copyright, trademark and other intellectual property laws. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute in any way any material, including code and software, from our site. You may download material from the site and may use the service for your personal, non-commercial use only, provided you keep intact all copyright and other proprietary notices.
If you have other concerns or questions about any aspect of this policy, you may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.